Issue 01 "Joy" includes:
- Alec & Jenny Kugler explore wax as a sculptural object
- Chelsea Woody on surfing as a tool for revisualising African American trauma as joy
- Five diverse and idiosyncratic female shapers interviewed
- Artist Stephen Milner exposes the thin line between hyper-masculine surf culture & gay erotica
- Profiles of Rockaway Beach stalwarts Benny's Club
- Dalani Tanahy reminisces on ruling Makaha as a member of the Westside Wahines
- Lost icon of Australian counter culture and women's surfing shark girl Kim McKenzie
- The future of freesurfing in the hands of painter, death metal drummer and tap dancer Jaleesa Vincent
- Big wave photographer and filmmaker Sachi Cunningham
- Apocalyptic Southern California as seen through the lens of Wyn Herrick
- Short science fiction from Mary Mills
....plus loads more from the likes of Mariah Ernst, Thembi Hanify & Kaiwahinekamaupuna Foster-Blomfield.
ABOUT EMOCEAN MAGAZINE
Exploring alternative perspectives, empowerment and the realities of women, LGBTQ+ and BIPOC surfers, Emocean is a much needed champion of marginalised voices in the surf community. The brainchild of designer and art director Thembi Hanify, whose roster of clients has included Apple, DKNY and Tommy Hilfiger, and writer Mariah Ernst, regular scribe for our favourites Primitive Skills and The Surfer's Journal, Emocean is a beautiful and superbly curated magazine with fascinating content from cover-to-cover.